BUT: you MUST be logged in first!
Volunteering is a critical part of Swim Team – we simply couldn’t operate without it. To give a sense of what is needed, consider that this season the Sun Devils will participate in 14 swim meets and 5 dive meets, and depending on the meet, we can require over 25 parent volunteers from our team. We need all the parents to support our activities!
Don’t look at the volunteering aspect as a chore – look at it as a great way to meet other Country Glen families and make those long periods between your child’s events at the meets go a little quicker. Most of the jobs don’t require any special training or experience, and even if you need some help at first there are lots of people who can show you the ropes.
For the new parents, a great place to start is being a TIMER at a swim meet. No prior experience or training is required – you will be provided with a watch and a short instruction session at the start of the meet. Every lane has 3 timers, so there are people to work with and learn from. Finally, its a great position to observe the flow of the meets and learn more about the other roles.
Please take the initiative and sign up for the volunteer positions online using the instructions on the right. When the Reps call looking for your time, do your best to help out.
When you commit to fill a position, please make every effort to be on time and available for the full meet. If you find yourself unable to make it after you have signed up, PLEASE contact one of the Reps immediately.
There are three positions that require MCSL certification: Referee, Starter, and Stroke & Turn Judge. We have a limited number of parents certified for these positions (and if you fall into that category, please make sure your certification is current for the 2018 season!), and are looking for more. Obtaining a certification isn’t difficult, but does require that you attend an MCSL clinic. The dates are as follows:
- Advanced Ref Clinic: Tuesday, May 22 at 7:00pm – Olney Swim Center
- Ref, Stroke and Turn, Starter Clinic: Sunday, June 3 at 8:00am – Olney Swim Center
- Stroke and Turn: Monday, June 4 at 6:00 pm – Flower Hill
- Ref, Starter Clinic: Wednesday, June 6 at 6:00pm – Connecticut Belair, 3901 Ferrara Dr, Silver Spring
- Ref, Stroke and Turn, Starter Clinic: Sunday, June 10 at 8:00am – Olney Swim Center
- Stroke and Turn: Tuesday, June 12 at 7:00 pm – Germantown Indoor Swim Center
As well, for our Dive parents, MCDL offers officials clinics as follows:
- Sunday, June 10th (10 a.m.) – Country Glen
- Wednesday, June 13th (6:30 p.m.) – Westleigh
- Thursday, June 14th (6:30 p.m.) – Seven Locks
- Monday, June 18th (6:30 p.m.) – Mohican
If you are interested, please contact Lelia True at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For middle and high school kids in MCPS schools, the Sun Devils support the Student Service Learning (SSL) program. We are currently working through the process of getting approval for a number of SSL opportunities for the summer swimming season – please contact Carrie Begin at email@example.com.